Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cheryl's Visit To Kibera, Part 3

--
Here is the third and final write-up from a kind and generous visitor, retired nurse Cheryl Fyfe. Cheryl tells us about her visit to the new land for the school. To see the first part of her account, please click here. Part two is here.

The land for the school was purchased through the wonderful support of the Collette Foundation. We are hoping to have a school building constructed and school bus purchased by the fall of this year.

Cheryl donated funds to purchase and transport trees and bushes for the land. Please see photo right. Here is what she wrote:


A wonderful ray of sunlight, a beautiful project going on, Tenderfeet. Right now the school is in the middle of Kibera under horrendous conditions but wonderful news for these beautiful children, a new school is in process.

Land has been bought and paid for on the outskirts of Nairobi. It is in a relatively rural area and has about 1 acre. The area is lovely, fresh air, birds singing flowers growing and this will all be novel for these slum children. There will be a school built and hopefully funds to buy a bus to bring these children out to the school. It will be a huge difference for these kids.

Edwin picked me up by taxi and we met a pickup truck, that was filled up with trees and hedge growth. We started out I swear no springs, as I felt every bump.
The further out of the city I went my spirits rose and rose (I guess I am really a country girl at heart). But in each breath of fresh air I rejoiced for the children. There are open fields to look at, trees on one side of the property. It has a wire fence erected already for the safety of children. It is a place of beauty and peacefulness.

We unloaded the truck in an assembly line. It took us nearly 1/2 hr to unload everything. We started planting the hedge. An old man, Margaret's brother, was also helping. Old? It turns out he is 42!! They had a great time trying to guess my age and would not believe me when I told them I was nearly 62. sad comment was in Kenya if you live past age of 35 you are considered lucky!


We had great fun planting the trees I had bought. We had to wait for Margaret to see where she wanted the fruit trees planted. I was wearing my sandals and since it had rained last night the mud was tremendous - my sandals weighed at least 5 lbs. each they were that caked with mud.

Tenderfeet holds a very special place in my heart and yet I think Uganda holds my heart. I planted my own tree an Umbrella tree so I can sit under the shade when I come back and watch the children eat the fruit from the trees we planted, what a glorious thought.


After the tree planting morning we went back to Margaret's house, she shares with her children, her brother and his two children and has taken in orphans besides. It is a modest house but is filled with love and hope. A palace could not have been better. Margaret cooked a most marvelous Kenyan meal with Motoke, chicken spinach and so many other vegetables it was a feast fit for a king, and to think that those who have so little but share so much with such graciousness it was heart touching.

The best of all she had a little cat, missing my cats so much it was a pleasure petting a cat again. We had a wonderful afternoon with Edwin and his lovely wife Christine and Margaret and the children. Going back to guest house I felt a renewed sense of hope and will go back with renewed energy to raise funds for this wonderful project.

--