Friday, January 16, 2009

Going to Kenya


I'm leaving for Kenya today, to visit for two weeks. This is a self-funded trip, just as the last one was. No donations were used or will ever be used for any part of my expenses during the visit.

There are many reasons for going, as you can imagine. Here are a few...
  • oversight and accountability: making sure funds are used properly and records are in order
  • learning: to better serve the children, it is important to see their situations first-hand
  • communication: 8,000 miles is a long way, even with internet and telephone; by talking face to face, we can make sure we are on the same page on all the aspects the project
  • mutual discipleship: Lahash has a beautiful concept of partnerships based on two-way discipleship, which can take the form of encouragement, prayer, service, sharing ideas, and growing together in faith and love through Jesus Christ
Last time I went, I learned a lot, but feel that this time I need to dig much deeper. I will be staying at Mama Margaret's home, so that will help a lot. Last time, I was at a guest house (like a small hotel), and so had to leave the project site in the evenings. Now I will have the chance to talk so much more and discuss many important issues in greater detail.

Thank you to friends and family who have wished me well on this trip, it means a lot to me. I hope to take advantage of the opportunity to the best of my abilities. I'm also hoping to be able to update this blog from time to time if I can get access to the internet once in a while.

I would appreciate your prayers for my wife and two boys while I'm gone.

By the way, here's a slideshow of my last vist in 2007